The priority technologies, as identified in the HLT Fund Implementation Guidelines, for the energy sector are:
- Climate change mitigation/adaptation technology
- Criteria air contaminants (CAC) reduction technology (air pollution mitigation)
- Smart grid technology (includes all types of storage as appropriate)
- Energy efficiency technology
- Renewable energy technology
- Advanced energy system planning and analytical tools (i.e., geographic information system or GIS)
As of December 2017, one energy project has been financed by the HLT Fund.